Transport Supervisor (Nights)
Penrith Penrith CA11 9BF 54.6652053 -2.7695561
Penrith, Avanti Gas
The successful candidate will assist and support the operation with all aspects of the transport office and ensure it is running as per legal compliance and operated within the law. The role involves supervising the transport operation on a shift basis ensuring maximum use of resources in a cost-effective manner, whilst meeting customer service requirements and delivery criteria. The role demands a flexible approach which includes shift work and out of hours support.
Working on a 4 on 4 off rotating shift pattern.
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third-party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do, and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
How will you contribute?
- Liaise directly with the customer to issue drivers’ workloads during each shift.
- Proactively motivate drivers to achieve planned targets and deadlines by providing guidance and encouragement and resolve any issues on a daily basis.
- Ensure all vehicles meet transport legislation and any defects are reported according to Company procedure.
- Ensure fleet administration is maintained according to schedule e.g. MOT’s, services, tax etc.
- Debrief drivers on return to depot to ascertain if any difficulties were encountered.
- Maintain and further develop a high level of teamwork and morale within the department.
- Identify and report all operational problems to the Operations Manager on a regular basis, making recommendations for improvement.
- Develop and maintain a close relationship with the customer, ensuring communication is maintained at all times.
- Ensure drivers full compliance with driver’s hour’s legislation and all Road Traffic Act Regulations.
- Provide accurate details of delays etc. to ensure the service level information is recorded correctly.
- Utilise any new technology initiatives into the operation.
- Facilitate the Operations Manager in investigating and preventing accidents thereby ensuring compliance with health and safety procedures and legislation.
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required for the effective operation of the function and the depot.
- Sickness/Absence Management - Ensure all sickness and absence is monitored and controlled using procedures and processes in force at that time.
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by your line manager
What will you bring?
- The successful candidate must be innovative and self-motivated, capable of working in a high-pressure environment, as well as being able to make on the spot decisions
- Candidates must be well organised, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to effect change
- Applicants must have experience of transport supervision / traffic planning within a pressured environment, with good administrative skills
- PC literate with the ability to use current software (Excel/Word/Outlook etc.)
- Knowledge of transport and tachograph legislation is required
- Possession of a national or international CPC is desirable but not essential
- Possession of an LGV C+E driving license is desirable but not essential
- CPC holder
- Routing & Scheduling experience
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme, employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking, onsite canteen + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you. Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result, you should submit your CV as soon as possible!
Penrith, Avanti Gas