Deputy Head, Commercial Legal
London London NW1 51.5306872 -0.146932
An exciting opportunity for an experienced commercial legal professional to join our fast paced and challenging team.
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.
How will you contribute?
Wincanton’s legal team subscribes to the concept of the in-house legal function ‘value pyramid’, within which influence and activities can be summarised, in ascending order of strategic value, as:
- Getting the job done; providing legal solutions to commercial issues; assistance with compliance requirements and/or challenges; working with stakeholders
- Risk mitigation and planning; influencing stakeholders; developing teams; leading external advisors
- Complex problem solving; lead negotiator on significant deals / contracts; crisis management
- 4. Participation in strategic business planning; change and process management; introducing commercial opportunities; Board influence
- The successful candidate will be a key innovator, sounding board, advocate and ally supporting the Head of Commercial Legal’s strategic goal of ensuring the continuation of robust, efficient activity in Tier 1 whilst extending influence and activity in Tier 2 and above.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide variety of contracts (both as supplier and customer) and ancillary legal documentation;
- First point of contact for key stakeholders in specific business units;
- Supporting the delivery of internal training programmes for operational, commercial and finance colleagues;
- Advising management on regulatory and compliance issues;
- Providing assistance on acquisitions and disposals;
- Assistance with company-wide compliance projects and policies;
- Managing external counsel as required;
- Ensuring that management are kept up to date and fully briefed on relevant new / amended legislation or other regulations;
- Supporting and mentoring junior team members;
- Advocating use of approved standard form documentation and adherence to the company’s contractual risk/reward guidelines;
- Advising on commercial and contractual disputes
What will you bring?
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong negotiations skills
- Pragmatism, flexibility and sound commercial judgement
- Proactive and ‘can do’ attitude
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet critical deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to anticipate / spot key issues
- Good knowledge of general commercial and corporate law
- Ideally experience in the logistics industry
- 7 years plus PQE or equivalent
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, private healthcare, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme ,employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result you should submit your CV as soon as possible!