The Products Director is a key strategic role, responsible for establishing and directing IT Product capability within a Product oriented IT operating model. Leading IT product teams organized in to towers of related IT outcomes (Warehouse, Transport, Group, Data & Innovation) they will be responsible for cradle-to-grave management of our IT Products and Services. Covering all aspects of product: strategy, analysis, design, development, delivery and operational support.
What is a Product?
A named collection of business capabilities that are valuable to a defined line of business. A product is something business users (or customers) "consume" and which has features and functions that are useful and valuable to them. For example, Warehouse Management is a product delivering an experience to end customers, but the accounting system is also a product used by financial staff.
What is Product Management?
The process of conceiving, delivering, monitoring and withdrawing products in the market so as to maximize business results. Product management responsibilities range from research on markets, customers and competitors, to analysis of customer and product analytics, to developing and maintaining the product vision and roadmap. It extends to working with product delivery teams to test and prioritize their delivery of product capabilities and experiences to maximize customer value and business impact, and to drive growth from digital initiatives.
- Overall Leadership of Wincanton’s IT Product team
- Full responsibility for the overall Product management, Product ownership spans across the entire product lifecycle, including steering, portfolio management, project delivery and operational support
- Responsible for Product Strategy and supporting Roadmaps ensuring that they align to business outcomes
- Maintain an awareness of IT and related service trends and monitor emerging technology trends. Analyze what opportunities for business innovation or improvement can be created by emerging technologies, services or ITenabled business innovation
- Influence strategic planning and enterprise architecture decisions
- Support IT Sales and Business Development team in preparing customer solutions and Bids
- Identify solutions and analyze requirements before acquisition or creation to ensure that they align with enterprise strategic requirements covering business processes, applications, information/data, infrastructure and services. Coordinate the review of feasible options with affected stakeholders, including relative costs and benefits, risk analysis, and approval of requirements and proposed solutions
- Coordinate with other stakeholders, such as Business, Data and IT Architects
- Work with key IT and Business Stakeholders to develop and refine Product pricing models
- Proactively engage across the Business, IT and 3rd party stakeholders to ensure that business investment delivers a costeffective and appropriate solution for the organization.
- Continually monitor and refine the products while in use
- Establish and maintain identified products and services (technology, business processes and workflows) in line with enterprise requirements covering design, development, procurement/sourcing and partnering with vendors
- Ensure compliance with overall Wincanton IT strategy
- Captures and manage risk, issues and assumptions identified through the lifecycle, articulating the financial and other impacts associated with these concerns
- Continuous improvement of the Product lifecycle.
- Assist sponsors in the creation of rounded and compelling business cases for change
- Foster Business / IT cross functional working and multidisciplinary teams
Experience and Qualifications
- Extensive experience in Leading Product focused Teams, with a strong background in managing a team of Application and Data Product Managers
- Extensive experience in leading large heterogeneous Application teams
- Experience in logistics and of supply chain technologies beneficial
- Experience of resource allocation, shaping priorities, and managing different skills within the team
- Experience of working in a pipeline driven architectural function
- Strong interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent communication and influencing skills to effectively manager designs/solution architects working across multiple projects and development teams
- Risk analysis and management, estimation, planning and decision analysis skills.
- Knowledge of structured methodologies e.g. COBIT, TOGAF, ITIL
- Understanding of business process re-engineering principles and processes.
- Basic knowledge of financial models and Service Costings / Catalogue within ITIL Service Design
- Confidence in coordinating teams to achieve a common goal
- Past accountability for major project solution design from inception through to implementation
- Understanding of the political climate of the enterprise, and how to navigate the waters
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of technical architecture alternatives
- Commercial acumen, to recognize the importance of the value proposition in solution design
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Remains unbiased toward any specific vendor or technology choice; is more interested in results than personal preference
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. As the largest British logistics company we work in industry sectors as diverse as milk, defence, energy, retail, consumer goods and construction, supporting every stage of development and adding value through our supply chain expertise and innovative approach to logistics challenges. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
Your place in our world