Internal Communications Manager
Wincanton is the largest British third-party logistics (3PL) company, providing supply chain solutions to some of the world’s most admired companies across a wide range of industries including retail, construction, defence and energy.
As a trusted and respected business partner, we design and implement services
and solutions that range from setting up and operating distribution networks, through to bonded warehouses, technology hosting, container transport and storage. We strive for operational excellence in everything we do.
We work hard to understand and respond to our customers’ needs, build long-term relationships and use our skills and expertise to deliver a smarter, added value service, every day. Our customers rely on us to make their businesses operate more efficiently and to gain a competitive advantage in their sector.
The purpose of this role is in two parts:
- Drive and manage engagement through effective internal communications and the development of a strong employer brand, which clearly positions Wincanton as the workplace of choice for new and existing colleagues.
- Accountable for measuring engagement and ROI, with the ability to interpret results and lead by experience and knowledge to amend and improve results ongoing to ensure success.
This interim role is to ensure immediate continuity of the employee engagement survey execution from January 2021, and therefore requires someone with excellent internal communication experience and knowledge of how to engage large workforces. With a solid grounding in communications channels, this role will see you build outstanding relationships with key stakeholders and be comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment.
Internal communications:Delivery of an internal communications strategy that supports Group strategy and associated programmes
- Manage the development of a credible, authentic and motivating employer brand narrative that is embedded in all aspects of the employee lifecycle and resounds with diverse teams across our business
- Review and improve communications channels, developing additional channels and improving two-way communications for colleagues
- Ensure an established and effective sequencing and rhythm of internal communications
- Source, write and edit content that celebrates Wincanton people, process and programmes
- Bring innovative and creative thinking to the business, working with designated leaders to introduce new approaches to delivering communications
- Work with, advise and coach Senior Leaders and project teams to shape and manage strategic communications around leadership, change, crises and important business events, advising and coaching as appropriate.
- Design and delivery of an employee engagement plan that builds employee advocacy and fosters engagement and identifies opportunities/levers that will mobilse employees as champions for the business.
- Utilise influencing skills to help drive a culture of colleague accountability, action and engagement.
- Analyse and leverage data insights to design and lead delivery of strategic employee engagement programmes
- Drive continued engagement around our HR led employee proposition
- Work with colleagues in the broader marketing and communications team to align messaging and strengthen collateral for Group outputs
- Line management of an Internal Communications Executive
- Production, management and evaluation of channel engagement
- Researching, evaluating, selecting and managing vendors according to requirements
- Production and delivery of quality content and collateral and management across multiple channel communications
- Manage and deliver employee engagement events including focus groups, meetings and events
- Manage the development and communication of employee surveys and Group-wide results
- People / HR community including People Directors, Managers, D&I Manager
- Executive Management Team (EMT), spokespeople and experts
- Marketing team, to support opportunity generation, brand consistency and maximisation of content
- Operations, liaise on key stories and reactive situations
- External suppliers and agencies
Experience, skills and attributes:
- Communication: Ability to influence by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and information, including very strong writing skills and confident presentation skills
- Influence and persuasion: Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince directors to team members, and persuade them in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change, also able to think ‘on your feet’ and influence fast moving situations, particularly within complex organisations
- Managing relationships and teamwork: Build trust and credibility as a communications partner, and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people at all levels in, and outside, the organisation
- Resilience: Can stay calm under pressure and can keep emotions in check when dealing with setbacks
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups and able to react to a new situation quickly
- Adaptable: comfortable operating at a tactical as well as a strategic level and balance longer-term objectives with short-term goals with a proven ability to write and proof written materials to a high standard
- Knowledgeable: strong understanding and ability to deliver high quality, relevant internal content as well as experienced designing and delivering engagement and communication strategies, programmes and outcomes in multi-locations, multi-cultural, high volume employee organisations.
- Excellent knowledge and experience in delivering workforce engagement surveys as well as supporting and delivering cultural change projects.
- Previous experience of delivering high quality content either from within an Internal Communications/PR, Marketing or Journalistic background
- Communications qualifications (eg CIPR)
- Previous experience within the logistics sector or other customer centric organisation.
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.