Head of Facilities Management
Chippenham Chippenham Methuen Park SN14 0WT 51.445851 -2.147076
UK Chippenham Head Office - 12189
This role will be permanent and will oversee and be responsible for the successful implementation of the group Facilities Management strategy.
This role will be key in achieving effective FM governance, identification of risks, savings and support for the programme of change.
With the initial review of FM complete, the second phase is the group wide implementation, achieving the key recommendations as set out in the review.
The successful candidate will be proficient at influencing at all levels; mobile as site visits will be essential, have the ability to communicate effectively and be commercial in approach. They will also be able to work independently and challenge as appropriate, both with third-party suppliers and internally across the business. Numeracy and general commerciality is vital with the ability to prioritise effectively.
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
How will you contribute?
Implement the FM Review findings across the group with key targets as follows:
Strategic Procurement and Management of FM assets: Ensure lowest total cost of ownership for FM assets.
- Providing advice and guidance on management of existing assets to ensure costs are managed in line in with operational risk.
- Define specifications on FM systems with lowest total cost in mind
Dilapidations & New Business Support: Through focused management during the occupational life of the lease, dilapidations can be reduced via a blend of planned and better managed reactive work. By demonstrating more robust processes and procedures this will enable Wincanton to reduce provision when budgeting, with an initial reduction target of 10%. This will be achieved by:
- Ensuring opportunities are maximized where Wincanton has on-site engineering teams; utilising existing labour and focusing management.
- Capturing client works, ensuring these are billed to provide a direct saving for Wincanton, reducing financial liability come lease-end.
- Where Wincanton are liable for maintenance, provide central support and introduce more focused budgeting to use funds where they will have the greatest financial impact.
- Introduction of a formal process to manage and support Operations from initial survey to a more formalised handback of sites come lease-end; including paperwork and proof of maintenance/compliance.
Supplier Management: Using industry experience to effectively manage supplier performance and service delivery across hard and soft FM services, driving an initial 2% (c. £400kpa) saving across all services by:
- Developing and effectively managing relationships at a strategic level; transferring risk to suppliers with the introduction of KPI’s/SLA’s.
- Providing central control and governance. Monthly supplier reviews for escalated matters, driven by a subject matter expert and based on accurate data.
- Ensuring suppliers are delivering to agreed contracts and specifications, whilst continually reviewing service lines and offerings to extract additional savings and service improvements.
- Manage out poor suppliers quickly and efficiently with minimal impact on service delivery.
- Link with operations to garner feedback on supplier performance; giving staff in the field the opportunity influence.
Procurement Support: Working alongside Procurement develop a sourcing strategy, as the key business stakeholder for the Category Review Process for hard and soft FM services. Reviewing suppliers and associated contracts, reducing non-preferred suppliers to maximise value :
- Providing subject matter expertise to create the right supply base, leveraging savings across hard and soft FM.
- Provide a more focused pool of suppliers, with flexibility and capability to deliver services to a varied, national estate.
- To work with the supply base to develop and deliver KPI’s and continuous improvement and innovation.
- Developing greater engagement with sites. Moving on feedback and getting local buy-in for new suppliers and services – making them feel part of the process and outcome.
Internal FM Structure: Implement a more effective internal FM structure to support the operational teams. Increasing levels of service consistency and managing risk from an operational, financial and statutory perspective:
- Launch and chair the FM Forum as a quarterly meeting/workshop for FM staff across the business.
- Create a set of guidance documents to support staff and promote consistency; potentially in the form of a “FM Library”.
- Create a central intranet FM Hub; a home for the FM Library, supplier info, training opportunities, industry updates and sharing best practice.
- Act as a central owner for FM, providing subject matter expertise. Driving improvement, supporting operations and acting as a senior stakeholder for FM with internal departments (Procurement, H&S, CSR, Business Development).
Technology & Data: Implement a Computer Aided Facilities Management system (CAFM), key benefits to be driven:
- A company-wide system to record and manage all reactive and planned maintenance.
- The opportunity to use existing suppliers, who will be given access to the system and trained in its use, providing comfort and autonomy for sites.
- The incorporation of a helpdesk function to provide a job logging and chasing service; freeing up FM time.
- A system that enables local and national monitoring and comparison of contractor performance; measuring them against agreed KPI’s and SLA’s and building on the link between FM and Procurement.
- The opportunity to track, manage and centrally store statutory compliance documentation.
- The incorporation of an Audit function which could be used across Depts.
- The potential to link with an energy management and monitoring function, providing a potential saving opportunity to be further explored.
What will you bring?
- Proficient at influencing at all levels of an organisation
- Proven stakeholder management skills
- Experience of managing and delivering complex change programmes
- Strong commercial acumen
- Effective communication skills
- Experienced in managing supplier relationships and challenge performance appropriately
- Must have excellent organisation and prioritisation skills.
- Ability to establish credible and trusted relationships.
- Affiliation to professional FM body (i.e. RICS, BIFM)
- Mechanical and electrical experience
- Experience of managing a similar project is desirable
- Relevant industry experience.
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, private healthcare, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme ,employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result you should submit your CV as soon as possible!
UK Chippenham Head Office - 12189