Bristol Bristol BS11 9BW
Due to the growth of an existing contract we have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Manager at our new Wincanton Distribution Centre in Avonmouth, Bristol. This is a key role that will be central to the successful delivery of a prestigious contract where Wincanton provide warehousing and distribution for deliveries in to the Hinkley Point C build programme.
The Operations Manager will undertake the day-to-day management of this Distribution Centre ensuring effective management of all operational costs and services alongside the effective implementation of a safety-first culture and the operational Business Plan.
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
How will you contribute?
- Ensuring the site operates in accordance with Health and Safety policy and procedures and that a proactive Safety culture is embraced at all levels
- Ensuring a positive customer and colleagues experience is realised through a high performing and engaged Wincanton workforce
- Scheduled reporting of operational status for presentation to GM and customer
- Labour planning against volume forecasts to ensure appropriate staffing levels are in place across warehousing and transport operations
- Ensuring that the site is effective, and efficient, and that as a minimum the ongoing operations consistently meet the customer’s requirements in terms of KPIs and budgeted financial goals
- Effectively manage and motivate direct reports in order to ensure that the service provided meets the high levels of compliance required by the customer
- Working with the Systems and Materials Management functions to ensure equipment is stored according to stringent rules regarding cleanliness, temperature and humidity
- Working with the Health and Safety Manager and the HR Manager to ensure matrix based training compliance across all colleagues in the operation
- Implementing, and maintaining, best practice values across all aspects of the business with a view to continually improving working practice and efficiency
- Conducting and overseeing disciplinary, grievance and appeal meetings in line with current policies as required
- Working closely with the customer Inventory Lead and the Wincanton Stock and Systems team to maintain 100% stock accuracy
- Maintaining a working environment that adheres to stringent security protocols
- Authorising all payroll amendments on a monthly basis as required
What will you bring?
- A proven track record of managing warehouse operations
- Operational leadership experience within a safety and security focused environment
- Excellent leadership, influencing and communication skills in order to maximise the effectiveness of the team
- A proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
- Ability to proactively engage with the senior contract team to support the success of the contract delivery
- Demonstrated ability to provide the budgetary and financial controls and be able to operate effectively in an “Open Book” environment involving regular detailed and comprehensive customer reviews.
- Energy, determination and commitment to operate in an environment where regular customer contact and scrutiny is the norm and effective customer communication and relationships are essential
- A flexible approach so as to work in line with contract requirements
- A good understanding of consolidation logistics and a proven track record of positive accountability for stock management
- A good understanding of Transport operations to support the onsite, and offsite, transport function
- Effective / structured process management skills to ensure effective delegation and accountability
- Proven experience of delivering a start-up would be highly advantageous
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, private healthcare, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme ,employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you. Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result you should submit your CV as soon as possible!
Note to recruitment agencies: we prefer to recruit direct, but we do have a Preferred Supplier List for when we need a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.