Health & Safety Manager
Swindon Swindon Highworth Road SN3 4QS 51.556794 -1.732947
UK Swindon B&Q - 12721
As the result of the recent growth at B&Q Swindon, we have an excellent opportunity to for a Health & Safety Manager to join our established team.This challenging and exciting role will appeal to an individual with experience, drive, determination and enthusiasm. They will possess a passion for: colleague safety and wellbeing; employee engagement and development; customer relationships and growth; and operational improvement and innovation.
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
How will you contribute?
- Promote and lead the Wincanton Safety, Heath, Environment and Food Safety Manual, all related policies and procedures and action plans, ensuring compliance to all.
- Ensure that a best in class safety performance is delivered through a behavioural based safety culture
- Build and implement an effective employee engagement strategy, resulting in a highly engaged and motivated workforce
- Annually review and update the site Risk Assessments and work closely with other departments to ensure Safe Systems of Work are suitable and sufficient
- Assist in maintaining standards that are equal to both OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 management systems
- Support, coach and guide local management teams on all aspects of HS&E
- Assist with accident investigations, incidents, near miss reporting to make recommendations to avoid recurrence
- Advise management on Health & Safety legislation, safe methods of working, prevention of hazards to health and the suitability of plant, protective equipment and control measures
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Company Safety Policy by carrying out inspections in association with site management and providing written reports of such inspections.
- Monitoring the implementation of the Wincanton SHE manual, RIVO Safeguard Minimum Safety Standards and related policies and procedures, ensuring compliance to all.
- Promotion of the safety strategy and glide path.
- Support both internal and external HS&E audits and inspections and complete internal H&S site audits, safety surveys and tours
- Deliver basic HS&E training to colleagues (e.g. Behavioural Safety, Toolbox talks)
- To participate in the health and safety and environmental committee
- Carry out site inductions
- To carry out major accident investigation, when required
- To assist with regular legal conformance audits
- To participate in commercial reviews with the site’s Senior Management Team, Company Finance teams and Client review processes
What will you bring?
- You will be a motivated manager who has the passion, ambition and drive to make a difference to safety within the business
- Excellent team building, leadership and motivational skills
- The ability to communicate and influence in an open and honest manner
- Must be able to demonstrate the commitment, enthusiasm and flexibility to work various shift patterns
- Excellent organisational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Up to date Health and Safety legislation knowledge
- A NEBOSH certificate or working towards
- Will be prepared to travel to other sites as required
- Experienced with a warehousing and distribution environment highly desirable
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, private healthcare, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme ,employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking, onsite canteen + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you. Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result you should submit your CV as soon as possible!
Note to recruitment agencies: we prefer to recruit direct, but we do have a Preferred Supplier List for when we need a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
UK Swindon B&Q - 12721