Technical Systems Engineer
Chippenham Chippenham Methuen Park SN14 0WT 51.445851 -2.147076
UK Chippenham Head Office - 12189
The Technical Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting the planning, acquisition, deployment and operation of the underpinning technical infrastructure that includes (but is not limited to) CITRIX, Microsoft server technologies (O365), RHEL, Storage Area Networks, Enterprise Backup Systems, VMWare, Desktop technologies, ITIL frameworks and Operational Security.
This will be achieved working alongside cross-functional teams, internal departments and external suppliers. The role is to ensure the smooth operation and security of Wincanton’s Core infrastructure to provide maximum performance and availability for the organisation, its customers and suppliers.
- Accountable for ensuring Incidents, service requests and tasks are well managed and completed to adequate standard and delivered within SLA
- Ensuring relevant policies, procedures, and processes are followed correctly
- Following and enhancing ITIL Processes (Capacity, Event, Problem, Configuration, Knowledge, Change, Incident, Major Incident). As well as delivering regular accurate reports & trend analysis
- Accountable for operational security across all technologies in scope of role which includes but not limited too; Security patching, Anti-Virus, Device hardening, vulnerability management, 3rd party application patching
- Ensuring all core infrastructure is managed to best practice, kept up to date and maintained to best practice
- Accountable for ensuring all Desktops are managed to best practice, kept up to date and maintained to best practice.
- Maintaining Desktop and Server builds to best practice
- Cross functional liaison to ensure that new projects and services are delivered to agreed times, quality and budget.
- Develop and maintain operational supplier relationships
- Evaluate new technologies and services and contribute to a “strategic” roadmap that identifies the product lifecycle and refresh opportunities
- Evaluate new technologies for suitability to Wincanton’s business need. Produce appropriate proposal documents and Initiate the procurement of hardware, software and services for any implementation.
- Trains, directs, and coordinates operational support. Provides assistance and support as needed.
- Assist in the definition of the delivery and operational support of the Technical Infrastructure and ongoing delivery of Technical services to the business
- Build strong relationships with the business and key IT demand planning interfaces in order to closely align short and long term plans with business requirements and internal customer demands and priorities
- Create and implement appropriate backup strategies.
- Engage in IT Service Continuity recovery procedures. Establish test schedules and undertake recovery tests on a regular basis.
- Ensure proper control of maintenance releases for Operating Systems and ensure that UAT & test procedures have been followed before promoting to the production environment.
- Maintains the collective technical roadmaps for SMEs in-line with the Enterprise Technology Roadmap
- Responsible for ensuring that all Platform Operating Systems are secure and supportable
- Works with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Assists with the design and implementation of strategic & tactical plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analysis for Technical Services spending and initiatives
- Provide advice and consultancy within the area of systems administration and associated technologies where required.
- Any other reasonable duties that may be requested by management
- Ensures personal technical skills are maintained to support the ever-changing IT world.
- Ability to self-learn new technologies with a can-do attitude
- Ability to challenge themselves and the work they do to ensure he right work load is in the right place. Automate / simplify / standardise where appropriate
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the computer industry
- Minimum of 5 years experience with MS Windows Administration
- Experience and understanding of Active Directory, DNS, TCP/IP
- Experience of O365, CITRIX, VMWare, MS Windows Operating Systems, SCCM
- Experience of Infrastructure security operations
- Experience of Wintel, IBM Series P, I, X, RS6000
- Experience of IBM SVC & Storage Area Network Technologies
- ITIL v3 Foundation accreditation
- Strong Project Management awareness
- Excellent communication skills and business writing ability
- Strong time management & problem solving skills
- Highly motivated, self starter and team player
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Demonstrated initiative, enthusiasm, and professionalism
- Business Acumen
- Solution focused with a Keen attention to detail with ability to make sound and logical judgments.
- Needs to see job through to conclusion
- Strong belief in customer’s satisfaction and business benefit driven solutions
We really value our people and offer a friendly working environment, a focus on developing your skills and a competitive salary. Benefits include access to a company pension scheme with employer contributions and other optional schemes you may wish to join. These are just some of the reasons which make Wincanton a great place to work!
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you.
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. As the largest British logistics company we work in industry sectors as diverse as milk, defence, energy, retail, consumer goods and construction, supporting every stage of development and adding value through our supply chain expertise and innovative approach to logistics challenges. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
UK Chippenham Head Office - 12189