Health, Safety & Training Manager
Kettering Kettering NN15 5JR 52.3645272 -0.6956476999
Wincanton is a leading third-party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. As the largest British logistics company, we work in industry sectors as diverse as milk, defence, energy, retail, consumer goods and construction, supporting every stage of development and adding value through our supply chain expertise and innovative approach to logistics challenges. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400-strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is "to make our customers business’s better, every day."
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
- Reporting to the General Manager you will promote and lead the Wincanton Safety, Heath, Environment and Food Safety Manual, all related policies and procedures and action plans, ensuring compliance to all.
- Ensure that a best in class safety performance is delivered through a behavioural based safety culture
- Build and implement an effective employee engagement strategy, resulting in a highly engaged and motivated workforce
- Annually review and update the site Risk Assessments and work closely with other departments to ensure Safe Systems of Work are suitable and sufficient
- Assist in maintaining standards that are equal to both OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 management systems
- Support, coach and guide local management teams on all aspects of H&S
- Assist with accident investigations, incidents, near miss reporting to make recommendations to avoid recurrence
- Advise management on Health & Safety legislation, safe methods of working, prevention of hazards to health and the suitability of plant, protective equipment and control measures
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Company Safety Policy by carrying out inspections in association with site management and providing written reports of such inspections.
- Monitoring the implementation of the Wincanton SHE manual, RIVO Safeguard Minimum Safety Standards and related policies and procedures, ensuring compliance to all.
- Promotion of the safety strategy and glide path.
- Support both internal and external HS&E audits and inspections and complete internal H&S site audits, safety surveys and tours
- Deliver basic HS&E training to colleagues (e.g. Behavioural Safety, Toolbox talks)
- Ensure effective communication throughout the operation communicating planned requirements
- Help produce reports on Health and Safety and Environment as per company and customer requirements
- To participate in the health and safety and environmental committee, ensure and support all colleagues on site comply with Company and Client Health and Safety and Environmental policy and legislation
- Carry out site inductions with visitors, contractors and new colleagues
- To carry out major accident investigation, when required, in conjunction with relevant persons and circulate accordingly.
- Assist with issuing Permit to Work documents to contractors and checking contractor compliance
- To assist with regular legal conformance audits on site
- To participate in commercial reviews with the site’s Senior Management Team, Company Finance teams and Client review processes where necessary
- Mange the training team to co-ordinate and deliver core training and annual refresher training.
Experience & Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience at senior management level within large/complex supply chain operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to operate at multiple levels and establish effective communication channels in both customer organisations and Wincanton
- Formal qualification in health and safety such as NEBOSH General Certificate
- Qualification in auditing or experience of auditing
- Knowledge of OHSAS 18001 / ISO 14001 or experience of working to a safety / environmental management system
- Would be beneficial to have working knowledge of warehousing and distribution
- Motivated self-starter, comfortable working as part of a team and as an individual
- Self-disciplined and an effective personal / time planner with excellent organisational skills and a keen eye for detail
- The depot operates 24/7 therefore it is essential that you are flexible in your approach to work.