Transport Team Manager Nights
Wincanton is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. As the largest British logistics company we work in industry sectors as diverse as milk, defence, energy, retail, consumer goods and construction, supporting every stage of development and adding value through our supply chain expertise and innovative approach to logistics challenges. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers’ business better, every day.”
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
Due to significant growth opportunities and contract expansion within Retail and consumer we are looking for experienced Transport Team Manager to join our Grocery Sector and support our expansion on the night shifts.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Transport Manager.
- To support the management of a fleet of drivers and transport support staff ensuring that they work within company guidelines.
- To provide a store network with a first class service
- To ensure operational targets are met on a weekly and monthly basis. Through effective use of the customers Integrated Transport Management Systems
- To brief / de brief drivers at the start and end of every shift communicating planned requirements providing information on performance, company news and procedures.
- Proactively encourage a positive and constructive relationship on site with the union and union representatives.
- Increase communication with stores
- Ensure department complies with Road Traffic Act
- Ensure drivers comply with health and safety regulations
- Proactively motivate the transport team by providing guidance and encouragement
- Undertake such duties as may be reasonably required for the effective operation of the function and department
Experience, skills and attributes:
- Experience of working within a transport environment.
- Knowledge of transport legislation.
- Knowledge of computerised scheduling and driver management packages would be an advantage
- Experience of supervising / managing a team
- Experience of disciplinary / grievance procedures.
- Ability to work on your own initiative, working to strict deadlines
- Experience of supervising / managing a team, providing motivation and driving performance.
- Able to manage conflict and tough conversations including complex IR issues.
- Succeeds in building effective stakeholder relationships with the ability to influence management team’s thinking to deliver high performance through a culture of accountability and ownership.
- The depot operates 24/7 therefore it is essential that you are flexible in your approach to work.
Our people are our most important asset and as such we are continuously expanding our capability programs to provide you with opportunities to build and extend your professional, functional, and management skills. Your development through coaching is our priority. Continuous learning takes place through a broad variety of opportunities and types of engagements. Access to the latest technological innovations in the logistics and supply chain industry, as well as Wincanton’s deep knowledge and expertise in our field, constitute a superb platform for your professional development.